1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds (best soaked overnight, but not necessary)
3/4 cups whole wheat or whole spelt flour
3/4 cups nutritional yeast (yellow flakes)
1 Tbs. italian basil
1/2 Tbs. greek oregano
1 tsp. sage powder
2 tsp. sea salt - I never add the salt because this already has tamari in it, which is salty anyway
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup tamari
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
3 whole cloves garlic
2 medium size potatoes grated (skin & all) - I often use one large sweet potato
1/2 cup olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
Time: 1/2 hr. prep & mixing, + 1hr. baking.
Size of pan: 8"x 10" x 2"
1) Grind Sunflower seeds in food processor with 1/4 cup water until it becomes a thick, smooth paste (not dry)(Use a bit more water if needed).
2) Add flour, nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, sage and fine grey sea salt. Mix well.
3) Set aside in a stainless steel bowl.
4) In blender, puree onions, garlic and tamari, adding small amounts of water as necessary to make a smooth paste. Add to mixture.
5) Add potatoes, olive oil and lemon juice. Mix well.
6) Pour into well oiled pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 min.until top is golden brown.
7) Allow to cool, then cut and refrigerate.
8) Cut 4 x 4 to make 16 pieces.
* This pate freezes well, just pre-wrap separate chunks with wax paper for ease of removal.