- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 10 tbsp ice water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- With a pastry cutter, blend in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the ice water gradually until dough forms.
- Pat dough into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Roll the dough 1/4-inch thick.
- With a cookie cutter, cut out ten 3 1/2-inch circles.
- Press the circles into 10 cups of a muffin tin.
- Put the muffin tin in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer, place pieces of tin foil in each shell and fill with pie weights.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and pie weights and continue baking for another 10 to 15 minutes, until pastry is golden and set.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat together the egg, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, vanilla and salt.
- Divide the raisins among the shells.
- Divide the mixture among the shells and bake until set, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- Remove tarts from pan and cool on a wire rack.