29 April 2012

Chocolate Coconut Macaroons

This is another recipe from the The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook (2009).  They aren't the most beautiful things I've ever made, but they cure a chocolate craving in a pinch.


Makes 24 cookies (>>I find it only makes about 18.  Maybe I just make giant cookies...)


1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (>>I use Bob's)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 egg whites
1 cup agave nectar (>>I recently made a batch with honey when I had run out of agave, and they totally turned out fine.)


Preheat the even to 350 degrees.  Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. (>>This recipe assumes you have two sheets at your disposal; I only have one.  Just store the dough in the fridge when it isn't in use.)


In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, coconut, and cocoa powder.  In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks with a handheld mixer.  Blend in the agave nectar.  Fold the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture.  Spoon the dough 1 tablespoon at a time onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving two inches between each macaroon.


Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden around the edges.  (>>Having made these a few times, I find I prefer them cooked a little bit longer.  They're delicious either way, but a longer cooking time leaves them a bit chewier, and they don't fall apart as easily.)  Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 30 minutes (>>not imperitive), then serve.


(>>I find that these store best in the fridge.  I think they taste better chilled anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment